Feb. 27, 2021
Writers write, but authors must also spread the word about their works. Most of us hold our noses and do it, but at this meeting, the wryly cheerful Fauzia Burke reassured us we could do our work and not hate it. In fact, we should do what makes us happy. This was delightful to hear. Read on for more.
We had a great turnout–forty attendees at one point–and even though some of us are pretty much over Zoom, it’s still cool that writers from all over can attend, including from other states.
Fauzia Burke, author of Online Marketing for Busy Authors, presented the Three-Step Formula for Building an Author Platform. Fauzia is the founder and president of FSB Associates an online book publicity firm, co-founder of Pub Site a platform for building author websites, and a consultant and coach for authors who need help navigating the book marketing and publicity landscape.
Before starting FSB, she worked for Henry Holt and John Wiley. Fauzia has promoted books by authors such as Alan Alda, Arianna Huffington, Deepak Chopra, Melissa Francis, S. C. Gwynne, Mika Brzezinski, Charles Spencer, and many more.
What a knowledgeable and delightful speaker! This amazing businesswoman, a self-professed nerd, has been building websites for authors since 1995. Tell the truth, you didn’t even have email back then, right?
What a goldmine. The information she gave us was concise and easy to understand. She layered the concepts in a logical order, building a body of guidance we could put to work almost immediately. She also offered free worksheets to help the busy, thoughtful writer not get buried. (CLICK HERE)
Here are a few of the notes I made while listening (for more information, her book, Online Marketing for Busy Authors, is available at Amazon.
- The three steps, in order, are Design, Visibility, and Engagement. Fauzia described each one in a way that made sense.
- In answer to “which social media platform should I use?” she described the use of analytics to see if traffic was being driven from that platform to our websites.
- Yes, we talked websites. Fauzia Burke and John Burke run Pub-Site.com, which can help you create and manage yours. Or they’ll do it for you.
- “Not everything you do is equally important or urgent.” Thank you, Fauzia.
- The logistics and rationale for newsletters and blogs.
Here is the video of Fauzia Burke’s presentation. (The actual presentation begins at the 33 minute mark).
For more about the Guild, including frequent tips and interactions with fellow writers, check out our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/diamondvalleywritersguild/